Tuesday 15 January 2019

SLJ ~ W3 D3 A1/2/3 Taking Flight

Kia Ora blog viewers! Today is day three of summer learning journey for week 3! I hope you enjoy reading these three completed activities. Let’s Start!

Week 3 Day 3: Taking Flight

Activity 1: Bird Of The Year
The Kokako

KOKAKO:
Image result for kokako
Kokako, North Island by Matt Binns is licensed under - Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic

The Kokako make up two species of endangered forest birds that is endemic to New Zealand. Since this endemic bird are made up of two species they live in separate parts of Aotearoa. One is the North Island and the other that most people prefer it more endangered which is in the South Island. Right now the bird is in serious trouble due to its enemies such as cats, rats possums and stoats. But this never stopped the bird from proceeding to win Bird Of The Year with very close competition and a heated campaign. The Kokako mainly eat fruit and leaves but often they like eating buds, nectar, moss, flowers and invertebrates. Back in the past the Kokako used to be called the New Zealand Crow because if you look at is from a far distance it looks like it is a crow.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Flying Foxes
Super Powers!


Everyone wishes that they could have a super power. I mean who doesn’t? If I to choose my number one superpower it would have to be super intelligence. Here in this online sketch pad I have talked about why I would choose to have super intelligence as my ultimate superpower. Enjoy!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3:  Wind Beneath My Wings
Flying Squid

ALL IMAGES IN THIS PRESENTATION ARE FREE AND DON’T NEED TO BE ATTRIBUTED

Many people think that only birds or bats can fly. They thought WRONG! Did you know that squirrels and fish can even fly?! Crazy right? Well I found some information about flying squids…..and yes they can fly too! Check out this presentation above that I have created about flying squids.
(this is making me kinda hungry right now….. Yes yes I like squid!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question(s) of the Day: Did you know that most of New Zealand's native birds are endangered? If you were to help this problem in any way what would you do and why?

Task Description: Woah! It’s been a crazy day today. I just found out that fish can fly! Anyways today I have completed Week three day three of the summer learning journey. The theme today is Taking Flight as today we have learnt about things that fly. The first task was about picking any kind of New Zealand and then we write about it! I chose the Kokako. The next task was about superpowers! We were asked to choose any kind of superpower and then explain why we wanted this particular power. Finally for the last task we were instructed to write about animals that can fly. We had many different options but it came down to one final decision and I chose the flying squid. Well that is all for today viewers! I hope you enjoyed today’s post and remember to stay tuned for more. Bye for now!

3 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Amelia,

    Love your outstanding work, You have done some incredible, Fantastic and Mind Blowing work. You have done such an amazing job blogging for this years SLJ. I bet everyone would be super proud of how well you have been doing, am I right? Of course I am. For these activities that have been written to us I think I most enjoyed reading what your super power was as you have written the most perfect piece of description about your super power I've seen, ( I haven't seen much posts of this ) Intelligence sounds super crazy, as you'd know every answer to every question being asked.

    If you actually had the power, Would you tell a friend?

    Overall incredible post about the super power you decided to choose for this activity, good job. Congrats on completing this, your such an amazing and hard working blogger.

    See you soon,
    Hinerangi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amelia,
    I can tell you want to get learning out of this experience and try to win, and you are doing a fantastic job at it! You are putting so much effort into your post, it is so amazing. Your jellyfish presentation has so many facts, and I never knew you liked eating squid! I've never thought of having super intelligence as a superpower, but you reasons on solving crime cases convince me to have the same too!

    What is another superpower that you want?

    Happy Blogging
    Gargee HPS
    hpsgargeej.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete

  3. Ata mārie Amelia,

    I’m Dani, a blog commenter for the Summer Learning Journey. I normally spend my time in the Kaikohekohe cluster but I have had the chance to keep out some amazing posts in the Manaiakalani cluster! I look forwarding to reading and commenting on Manaiakalani learner’s blogs!

    Wow, you have picked an awesome bird to be the star of your post. Have you ever seen a Kokako in real life? I did some reading and the North Island Kokako is considered extinct in parts of the North Island because of pests in the area.I hope the goal of being Predator Free by 2050 will become a reality. You can learn more about Predator Free 2050 in the last week of activities. Do you see many native birds in your garden? My garden is quite small and we have a cat so native birds don’t spend much time in our garden. I live close to Monte Cecilia Park in Three Kings and when I go walking there I sometimes see a range of different native birds including fantails and tuis and if I’m lucky I get to see Kereru!

    Super Intelligence sounds a very useful superpower to have! It’s great that you have decided to use it for good. It would be mind blowing for one person to hold all of the knowledge of the world in their head! I’m sure there would be masses of people who would want to pick your brain for tidbits of information.With or without your powers, would you like to be a police detective one day or do you have another career in mind?

    I have read presentations on flying snakes and flying fish and I have been very surprised but I had no idea that there was a flying squid! It is crazy that they are able to fly up to 30 metres in the air, have three hearts and they only live for a year! There are so many interesting facts on your presentation to read! So of the facts seem so crazy, did you learnt a lot while you were designing this presentation?


    Keep up the awesome work!

    Blog ya later,

    Dani

    ReplyDelete