Saturday 21 December 2019

πŸ‡³πŸ‡Ώ⛵ SLJ ~ W1 ll PHYSICAL LIMITS ll D1: EXPLORES ll ACTIVITY 1 πŸ‡³πŸ‡Ώ⛵

SUMMER LEARNING JOURNEY 2019 - 2020
WEEK 1: PHYSICAL LIMITS πŸƒπŸΎ‍♀️
DAY 1: EXPLORES πŸ‡³πŸ‡Ώ⛵ 
---
ACTIVITY 1 : SETTING SAIL πŸŒŠ
 INFO BELOW (NOT WRITTEN BY ME ALL CREDITS TO SLJ)Image Attribution: Polynesian navigation device showing directions of winds, waves and islands, S. Percy Smith, Public Domain

People from Pacific nations have always been expert explorers and navigators. In the past, they used the stars, sun and ocean swells to find their way (navigate) around the Pacific Ocean. Master navigator, Nainoa Thompson, has used the ancient Polynesian wayfinding skills to navigate around the world. In 2013, Nainoa led a crew across the Pacific Ocean on two large canoes (Hokule’a and Hikianalia). The crew stopped off in Aotearoa, New Zealand in 2015 on their journey and visited the Manaiakalani Schools in Auckland.
Here is a short video about Polynesian navigation. It describes the different ways ancient Polynesian navigators used the natural world to find their way around vast oceans. Incredible!

I think that it would be difficult to be ‘at sea’ for weeks at a time. I would miss my family but I would also enjoy the adventure. Let’s imagine that you were invited to join Nainoa for three weeks at sea. As part of the journey, you have to pack your own food.

BLOGGING TASK:

For this activity, make a list of ten food items that you could take with you. Please think carefully about what you will take as you won’t have access to a refrigerator or freezer while at sea. Please explain why you would select each item.

On your blog, post your list of 10 food items you would take on an ocean voyage and the reasons why you chose these items.

*Remember to attribute any images that you borrow from the internet or from other people.

*Please check out the Eye-Catching Blog Posts page for ideas!
---
⛵ WHAT ARE 10 FOOD ITEMS THAT I WOULD TAKE WITH ME ? πŸŒŠ
*Note: I think if I were to actually participate in this journey, I would probably last for a few days without packing food. The reason for this, Is because during the voyage I could try and catch some good fish (snapper or pompano would sound nice!) I am full Tongan, and oh boy raw fish is a family favourite!*

1. Dried Fruit & Nuts - I would take this because its really delicious and also healthy. You wouldn't want to go out in the ocean and be eating the wrong foods, that will do you no good! Another benefit you would get from this is that there's not much things you have to do to sustain it. 

2. Chips - Oh yes! I would definitely bring some packets of chips during my voyage. Chips will be really easy to bring and are a great addition to snack time. I'm also in love with chips (which is a bad thing) so I will really enjoy this snack.

3. Fruit - Looking at healthy options again, fruits will be a compulsory food Item I would take with me. Fruits are packed with good nutrients which will have a positive effect on your body. You want to be able to be in good shape and have a clever brain as to what you are doing during your voyage.

4. Goodies! - You can never go wrong with goodies :) Lollies would be another food item added on my list. Though its not the best option, you do wanna have some tasty goods during your very long time out at sea! But, always remember not to consume too much as you wanna be able to complete tasks well during the voyage.

5. Bread - Bread is one of those foods that you can probably NEVER live without! This is why you would probably need bread to come along with you. It does contain fat and sugar, but its also Fibre, Protein, Iron, Vitamins and other minerals which could help you last. You could probably make sandwiches too!

6. Rice - Rice is a food item that would be a good idea to bring! Rice gives you a great source of energy, this will be needed since you'll be multitasking a lot. Its also dry and easy to transfer. Its up to you whether to have it pre-made or packed dry and fresh. What would you recommend ?

7. Muesli or Protein Bars - Muesli and Proteins bars would also be on my compulsory list of food items. Its another really easy to transport food item, as they just come in boxes and are sealed in tight packaging. Its also a scrumptious and healthy snack!

8. Corned Beef - Corned beef is known to all islanders as a desired food. I would definitely bring along corned beef with me. Of course this is another one of those not healthy options, but it's really tasty in my opinion and I would eat it a lot.

9. Cheese Crackers - To me plain crackers are like a substitute to bread, which is boring! That's why I would bring cheese crackers! Instead of bringing cheese and crackers separately, why not bring them with a whole new level of packed flavour!

10. Biscuits or Cookies - Since I can't pick between the two, why not let YOU (the reader) pick them for me :) Both are a very appetizing foods and are also added to the snacks list. You may think they are not healthy but actually you can bring healthy ones like paleo biscuits! I bet it's just as tasty and its also packed with carbs too!

---
Task Description: Greetings fellow bloggers and viewers, and welcome to my first activity for this years blogging competition, The Summer Learning Journey. Everyday, I will try my best to blog an activity which I can earn points from! This is my first day and it's called EXPLORES. For this task I had to watch a video that explains Polynesian navigation and how they used signs from above to navigate there way around the world. My activity was to write 10 foods I would bring along on my journey. I had to keep in mind that I will have no access to a fridge or a freezer. I thought the task would be hard, but I ended up completing it! Please stay tuned for more blog-posts and also leave a positive comment below. Ka kite :)

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Amelia,

    I’m Dani, one of the blog commenters for the Kaikohekohe cluster for the Summer Learning Journey. I have heard some great things about the learners in the Manaiakalani cluster so I thought I would jump on and check out some blog posts.

    It’s great to see that you are back participating in the Summer Learning Journey again for 2019 - 2020. What has been your favourite activity so far? Well done for completing the first activity. You sound like the perfect companion for a sea voyage especially if you can catch fish! You will never go hungry. If you could sail anywhere in the world, where would you go? I would sail to the Greek Islands because that is where Mamma Mia was filmed and it looked beautiful.

    Keep the blogging up!

    Blog ya later,

    Dani

    ReplyDelete