Monday 14 January 2019

SLJ ~ W3 D2 A1/2/3 The Air Up There

Hey blog viewers! Today I am going to continuing on with week three of the summer learning journey. Today’s theme is The Air Up There. I will be completing three full tasks about this theme and I hope you enjoy reading :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Week 3 - Day 2: The Air Up There

Activity 1: Bee Informed
Fill in the Gaps
Image result for bumblebee insect
Image Attribution

This task is basically facts about bumblebees. In this task I have filled the gaps of these sentences. Reminder: The blue colour represents the original sentence and the green represents the I have filled in.

Sentence one:  The word ‘bumblebee’ is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word ‘bumble’ means to hum, buzz or drone.
Sentence two: Bumblebees can fly very quickly.  They can reach ground speeds of fifty-four kilometres per hour (km/h).
Sentence three: Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to fifty percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.
Sentence four: Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact, they can do up to ninety times as much work as a normal honeybee.
Sentence five: The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the deposition of wild flowers and flowering trees, habitat lost, and extensive use of pesticides.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Carbon Sinks Don’t Stink!
What should I throw away?!!
Image result for throwing food into sink
Image Attribution

I had so many options in my head because I’m gonna say it I am a total picky eater. But I’d rather not list all of it down before my post will be a whole lot stuff that you do not want to listen to and you will be bored anyway. Well I like this food that almost the entire universe hates which is anchovies. I don’t know they just draw my attention and they are actually quite delicious. Soooooo yeahh! (Warning - Very Picky)

Oysters - Oyster don’t do me good at all! From the first time I tried oyster I puked! Yes I puked (and the entire church watched me puke!)… Well to be honest I always wanted to try it because it reminded me of muscles which I definitely love! My family are huge fans of oysters and they always eat it for dinner. It is really annoying now and if I had a carbon sink oysters are definitely the first ones to thrown away!

Pickles - Whenever we go and get Mcdonalds I always take my pickles off of my burger and give it to my sister because I’m sorry Mcdonalds but it ruins my burger. That slimey rotten taste just makes me want to faint when I even think about it because it’s so disgusting. When I see people taking a bite of a pickle from a jar it’s just so weird.  Sometimes I try to force myself to eat it so I can get over this habit but I can’t! It’s just too yuck.

Tomatoes - Tomatoes are not that bad but I just don’t like the taste at all. Tomatoes are like an everyday food that my family uses to cook. When I look at tomatoes from my view I think it is just like pickles but they are red. We even grow tomatoes in our backyard so we don’t need to buy it. Again it’s not bad but the taste doesn’t do me good so I think the tomatoes gotta go!

Beetroot - Beetroot is another one of my most disliked food. A lot of people like adding beetroot to their salads or sandwich but not in mine. When my mum takes it out of the can I can see the juice and it’s just so bad that I can’t even describe it. So beetroot is definitely going into the sink!

Capsicum - Capsicum is also one that my family grows in our backyard. We use a lot of capsicum for dinner when it comes to making raw fish. Capsicum is just really not the type of food that I like. The smell of it is so strong that it’s like heavy perfume! But the taste is way worse to me. It’s just so not pleasant at all. I know that I am going to be throwing capsicum away in my special sink!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Flying Fungi
Maths Problem
Image result for mould
Image Attribution
Question: Let’s imagine that we tested the air in your classroom and found 7 different kinds of mould. Eek! The cleaner says that it takes 5 days for each mould to be eradicated (removed). If the school had to remove each mould one at a time, how long would it take to remove all the mould from the classroom?
What I know so far: The classroom found seven different kinds of mould in the air, Cleaner says that it will take five days to remove each mould.
Working Out:
Seven moulds - The class found out they had seven moulds up in the air
Five days - The cleaner said that it would take five days to eradicate each of the seven moulds
Seven moulds x five days = Thirty-five days ~ 7 x 5 = Thirty-five
Five days x Seven moulds = Thirty-five days ~ 5 x 7 = Thirty-five
5 x 6 = 30 + 5 = 35
7 x 4 = 28 + 7 = 35
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question Of The Day: Did you know that tomatoes are actually are fruit?!

Task Description: Today I have completed three tasks from the Summer Learning Journey Program. Today's theme is is the air up there. The first task was all about filling in the gaps of five sentences about bumblebees. The second task was focusing on carbon sinks. We were asked to talk about the foods that we dislike and wanted to dispose. For the final task we were given a maths problem to solve about yucky moulds. We also showed how we worked out the answers in our own words. This is all for today blog viewers. Thank you for checking out my blog posts and remember to stay tune for more!

2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Amelia

    What a awesome Post you did for SLJ and even though
    you still need to finish the rest of your SLJ I
    think you did really really really well and I hope
    you have a lovely time with you family and don't
    give up yet keep on doing the SLJ don't give up

    Your sincerely
    Precious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amelia

    My name is Daniel and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey program. Well done on completing these three activities. I like how you included a detailed description of the foods that you don't like - I can tell you put a lot of effort into completing the activity. Your working out was also great. It was clear and easy to understand. Keep up the awesome work Amelia!

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete