Friday 25 January 2019

SLJ ~ W4 D3 A1/2/3 Taking Action

Kia Ora viewers! Another day and more work here on my blog. Thanks for tuning in. Today we will be completing day 3 of week four for the summer learning journey. I am so excited to start today. The theme for today is Taking Action. I know I’m late for the Summer Learning Journey but I just want to get all the activities finish. Let’s Go!!

Week 3 Day 3: Taking Action

Image result for predator free new zealand 2050
Image Attribution
Activity 1: Predator Free 2050 - A Call to Arms
Zero Invasive Predators (ZIP)
Out of all three videos my final decision would have to be the ZIP video. I think that this predator free video was absolutely the best because it shows how people can work together as one. What I mean by this is that I really like how to company’s (NEXT/DOC) formed as one to help solve this problem. This really touched me and it encouraged myself to be aware of predators. The second reason why I thought that it was the best was because they showed that they really cared about our native birds because it’s a problem that half of New Zealand don’t even care about. This is why I think this was the best video.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Protecting the Most Vulnerable - Fact or Fiction?
Maui Dolphins
Maui Dolphins are endemic to New Zealand. It is very close to extinction and right now are only about 63 of these dolphins that are gliding through the sea. It’s very sad but many people are working on this problem. In this google draw I have created a little fact or fiction poster. Out of all of these images there are only three facts that are right and three facts that are wrong. It’s up to you to find out which ones are a fact or just fiction!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: The Power Of Ten
10 species (animal or plants) I would save

Here is a presentation I have created that is about 10 species animals or plants that I would save. These are ten I have written but I think through the years I will end up changing my mind whether I really want these ten species. If you were given this question what would you choose?!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question of the Day: Did you know that Maui Dolphins only live for a short period of time?!

Task Description: Today I have finally finished today’s tasks. As you know today’s theme is Taking Action. Here is my summary of today's work. The first activity was all about ZIP. We were given three video focusing on the predator free project and were asked to choose out of all three which was the best. The next task was about Maui Dolphins. We had to write three facts that are true and three made up facts of our own! Then we had to write to write three facts that are wrong and three facts that are right. For the final task we had to pick ten species (animal or plants). Well that’s all for today people! Remember to stay tuned for more posts.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Amelia,
    Well done for completing another activity for the Summer Learning Journey and putting in so much effort. I like your amazing slides about the top 10 animals you would save. I actually used to have the Calla Lilly in my backyard, but we accidentally cut them down with the grass cutter and they aren't growing back. Oh well. I also like how you wrote a clear description on why you like the ZIP video.

    What is your favourite animal?

    Happy Blogging
    Gargee HPS
    hpsgargeej.blogspot.co.nz
    (Work fast, at 12 midnight the SLJ ends!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Amelia,

    My name is Megan and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey (SLJ) team working with learners from the Ako Hiko cluster, like Gargee who commented above.

    First of all, congratulations on completing the entire SLJ programme, what an incredible accomplishment to achieve over your summer holidays. I hope you have enjoyed the journey and have learnt a lot that you can take back to school with you.

    Second of all, well done on completing day 3's activities from week 4. You have done an absolutely amazing job with all 3. I particularly liked the way you summarised the Zero Invasive Predators (ZIP) project. That was something I took away from the video too, that the NEXT foundation and the Department of Conservation are working together to eradicate predators in New Zealand. I am so proud of the way everyone is coming together to protect our native birds. I was shocked to hear in the video that around 70,000 chicks and eggs are eaten every night due to these predators. That fact shocked me and made me realise how important this project is.

    Oh man, I really struggled with your Maui quiz, but here goes.
    Maui dolphins are endemic - TRUE
    Maui dolphins are almost extinct - TRUE
    Maui dolphins see with sound - TRUE

    The other three facts I decided were false, was I correct?

    I really loved learning about your Tongan flower, the Gardenia. What an absolutely beautiful flower this is. Can you find them in New Zealand or are they native to Tonga?

    I absolutely love how much effort you are putting into your posts Amelia. I wish you all the best for your school year ahead. I bet you are going to ace it.

    Nga mihi,
    Megan :)

    ReplyDelete