Tuesday 22 January 2019

SLJ ~ W3 D5 A1/2/3 Here to Stay

Kia Ora Blog viewers! I’m am very sorry I haven’t been up to date with all the blog posts. It’s been very busy and I did not have much time to sit down and get some work done but here I am. Today’s theme is Here to stay and here are all my activities for today. Enjoy!

Week 3 Day 5: Here to Stay

Activity 1: Persistent Pollution
Climate 101: Air Pollution
Image result for air pollution
Image Attribution
Three new things I have learnt about air pollution:

A big thing that people did not know (especially me) about air pollution is that it can be caused by natural sources around us. These natural sources can be the toxic smoke that comes straight from volcanic eruptions or wildfires that is a general term which includes forest fires, bush fires and a few more. It can also be caused by allergens such as dust and pollen which is a common allergy for humans.

It’s not only these natural sources that are causing serious air pollution it’s us humans too! The air pollution that we create is a main result from human activities. Smog is one of the types of human made air pollution. What Smog does is that it decreases visibility and has major health effects. Smog is not only known to help decrease visibility, but it can also torment plants and irritate the eyes which is really dangerous for us humans.

Another type of air pollution that I have learnt about is called toxic pollutants. This type of air pollution can have a non-positive effect to the environment and our health. When it comes to health problems it can cause major things such as cancer, reproductive complications and birth effects. Therefore it’s better to keep in mind of the consequences towards these types of air pollutions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Changing Climates
What I like to do on a rainy day
Image result for rainy day
Image Attribution
When it comes to rainy days and it’s too wet to go outside (1) I like to watch movies with the fam. What we do is grab all our pillows and blankets, throw them in the living room and put a movie on the tv. That way were all nice, warm and comfy. (2) Baking is a activity that always comes to mind when it’s a rainy day. Me, my sister and mum like to make chocolate cake. After we put the batter in the oven the kitchen is always a mess. Spatulas are everywhere, flour on the floor and were all acting crazy. But I get used to it. (3) Since we don’t have board games I like to play games on my chromebook. I like going on online and playing math games because I like to beat my cousin’s high scores. (4) Reading is a thing I would do on a rainy day when I’m not in the mood to play games. I find it really relaxing and interesting. (5) Finally the best thing i like to do when it’s rainy day is sleep because why not?!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Let it Rain
Acid Rain
Image result for acid rain
Image Attribution
After rushing straight back inside the house from the unexpected acid rain storm we all sat down on our comfy couch, threw on some cozy blankets and just to listened to the acid rain pour down uncontrollably. We immediately locked shut all the windows so we can avoid the toxic liquid from coming into our house. All of a sudden we hear the drops slowly fading. Curious we were we started moving closer towards the front door. Everyone was nervous so I had to be the big person to open the door (poor me). Therefore I took one more step towards the door with everyone around me, I turned the doorknob and swung open the door lightly. First there was nothing, but then a heavy gust of wind flew past me before my eyes. Right after that we saw a huge fog surrounding our area and I could smell the toxic liquid scattering through the neighbourhood. Once the fog was cleared out we finally got to see everything clearly. It was not what we indicated. We saw piles of leaves everywhere, our basketball hoop was busted down and it was shivering cold out there. It was a total disaster!

The End
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question of the Day: Did you know that New Zealanders produce around 352 thousand tonnes of rubbish which goes to the landfill each year?

Task Description: Today is the final day for week three of summer learning journey! I am so excited to be moving onto the next week but first let me talk about our tasks today. For the first task we were asked to watch a video and list down three things that we learnt from it. The task was about things I like to do on a rainy day. Our task was to list five things we like to do when it is too wet to go outside. Finally for the last task we had to write a 8 - 10 sentence story about a acid rain storm. This was all the tasks for day five and week three of the summer learning journey. Remember to stay tuned for more posts! Bye for now.

2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Amelia,

    Congratulations on finishing the last activities of week 3, you are amazing. You have done such an amazing job with each and everyone of your tasks and to see you completing them that is super impressive and was done perfectly well, great job. I loved reading activity 1, about you learning something new or finding out more about air pollution, and how it affects our environment/planet. It’s cool of you to tell us that it’s us humans as well who are affecting this planet which we or I would like to call home.

    Overall fantastic finish to week three I can’t wait for the start of week 4 Amelia, Keep up the awesome work and hope to see more from you absolutely soon.

    What did you like about week 3’s tasks?

    Kind Regards,
    Hinerangi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Amelia,

    My name is Mikey. I'm a member of the Summer Learning Journey team, along with Patricia, Lee, Izzy and Sophie. It looks like you've been very busy, completing lots of activities, over your summer holiday - great work! :)

    I really enjoyed reading about what you learnt about pollution. Your paragraphs are really well written and extremely informative - you've summarised the information from the video wonderfully. Isn't it terrible the we (humans) are responsible for so much pollution? It makes me very sad.

    Those are great rainy day activities! I like to read when it's cold and wet outside as well. What kinds of books do you like to read?

    I like how you've referred to the acid rain as 'toxic liquid' throughout your short story. It makes it sound so much more sinister. I also like how you built suspense by adding in the passage about the fog, and not telling us what damage the rain had caused straight away. Awesome work Amelia! :)

    I look forward to reading more of your posts soon.

    Blog ya later!

    Mikey :)

    ReplyDelete